Recently Astera Credit Union has received multiple reports regarding fake phone calls being received where the caller claims to be an Astera team member. The phone scammers claim a person is overdue on a loan and ask for personal information, including account numbers, and/or social security numbers.
We want to emphasize that Astera CU will NEVER call you and ask for your account number, social security number, or other sensitive personal information over the phone.
Unfortunately, with today’s technology it is very easy for a fraudster to spoof a phone number and it is very difficult to prevent it. The best course of action to prevent falling victim to this type of scam is to:
- Do not give out personal information over the phone (i.e. account numbers, social security numbers, passwords, etc).
- Do not discuss personal account information with unverified Astera CU employees.
- Do not use contact information given to you over the phone from an unverified Astera Credit Union employee.
- If you are unsure the person you are talking to is legitimate, hang up, and call our official Virtual Branch at 800.323.0048.
- If you think you have fallen victim to fraud, call us immediately at 800.323.0048 to place a lock on your account.
If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us by calling 800.323.0048. To stay up-to-date on how to protect yourself against fraud and learn about other common scams, visit our Security Center here.